This is the 5th post of the 2019 Love Blog Challenge and today’s prompt is best friend. Wow, what a timely post. It’s important to have a side kick of some sorts to talk to, walk with and support each other. Overall, I have had different bestfriends over the years which helped me a great deal and were great human connections.
I also have many best friends at a time for my many facets like; my church best friend, best friend from the blogging world, bestfriend from University and so forth. Although there will always be a friend that is more a friend than others; it’s important to have many friends too.
Important Qualities Of A Best friend
- Truthful. Tell the truth from the get go. It sets a great foundation and a great habit from the beginning. Of course you don’t have to tell them every itty bitty detail but anything that counts, be upfront.
- Supportive. I love friends that are supportive towards each other’s dreams and vision. I have two friends Sharon and Elizabeth. We are always so supportive of each other and our conversations encourage me. What’s more, Sharon is my friend from University while Elizabeth is my friend from high school. A friend should support you, and if they don’t what’s the pint of being friends.
- Funny. I love long witty conversations and chats, I like my conversations the way I love my comedy and Joyce Meyer’s teachings. Witty and Serious :). No bland conversations please. Choose best friends that bring out the funny you, the talkative you, the you that enjoys conversations and getting to know people. It’s said that when you miss a person, you are simply missing the person that they bring out in you, or the character in yourself that you seen in them. I always find that there ‘s some truth in this. Don’t you love long conversations with a person whom you have clicked intellectually, emotionally, you have shared interests and
- Common Interests. Either faith, fashion, comedy, reading, swimming, animation. I love having a common shared interest with any best friend. It keeps conversation going and gives us more items to try out. What shared interest do you have with your best friend?
- Reciprocity. I like reciprocity because it shows that I am not the only one invested in this friendship. We both are. A friend should be putting the same if not more effort to growing the friendship. A great guide to reciprocity is loving them based on how they like being loved. It hurts to always be the one pulling the relationship, suggesting places to go or eat or activities to indulge in to keep the friendship going.
Have You Lost Best Friends Over The Years?
I know I have. Some faded over time. Some faded because it was not feasible to be friends again. Whatever the reason is, I am grateful for them. I enjoyed them while they lasted, learned a thing or two and had fun.
I hope you can say the same off your past best friends. I hope for whatever reason, you are not unhappy over them.
My idea of best friendship has changed over the years;
- Clingy. I used to be overly clingy urrgh. Over time you learn that you don’t need constant conversation and constant affirmation that you have friends. What you need is the affirmation that they are there for you and will come through no matter what. I don’t speak daily to the people that I hold dear. But I know when I call for help, they will show up.
- Being closed up. To some extent I still am. It’s an every day choice to open up.
I have been friends with my three best friends for 8 years, 3 years and 2 years. It has been a learning and beautiful experiences and I look forward to having more of the same.
You may also like Boundaries; Love Blog 2018.