My birthday is this month, the 27th to be precise and I am happy. I look back at my last birthday discover that I have grown and done a lot within 12 months. I am going to be 22 and I can’t wait for what 22 has in store for me.
Here are 22 lessons I have learned in 22 years:
- Happiness is a choice- Until you choose to be happy, no one else can make you happy. Not your parents, or your spouse. So be happy. Pursue activities that give you excitement and joy, even the minutest.
- Study and develop hobbies. Develop at an early age and you’ll still be benefiting while you are a teenager.
- The power of three. Three statement pieces of everything. Shoes, Blazers, Trousers and jewellery. How you wear reflects how you feel about yourself and the impression you leave on people. I know what matters is the “inside” and God knows your heart but God is not doing the hiring.
- Networking is Key. You’ll meet douche-bags who see an inexperienced person to take advantage of but at times you will meet the best people. And they’ll make you believe in humanity again.
- About Love. Love yourself first. For God’s sakes just love yourself. Date yourself and experience what it is to live with YOU. You are going to be living with yourself for a long time. Now might not be a time for love and dating. The realities of life and its intricacies have not hit you yet.
- Pursue what you want now. You will never be ready. There is never the right moment, and we are to create the moments we want from what we have. Start today.
- Salvation is not a straight line. You will mess up. You are human. Bask in God’s love and always crawl back. The lie is that you’re undeserving of coming back so go back; He knew what He was getting into when He drew you to Him.
- Not every man of God is your man of God. That said, support and encourage the men of God in your life. Remember that they’re human too and God is working with them and growing them too. The same case applies to women.
- Execute your passion from 5 am before going to work, cumulatively, you will grow.
- Family is key and essential. Avoid family wrangles as no one wins. However, steer clear of those who use you as a doormat, or bring you down.
- There is nothing as friends being more important than family. A brother (a friend can be a brother too) is born for adversity. In hard times, your worst family member is your friend at that moment.
- There is a difference between being related and being family. Some distant relations are closer than other family members. Blood makes you related. Loyalty, dignity and respect make you family.
- Forgiving and forgetting does not mean you have to remain in contact with the one who offended you. It means having no grudge or bitterness in your heart and being at peace with them.
- Read books. Read blogs. Watch documentaries. Let your mind grow.
- There is more to life than going to work/school, church, and going to bed. Experience life, experience your country.
- Your position right now was once your prayer. Give thanks.
- Until you own up to your faults, let go of the blame game, release your parents from the pressure of what they should have done; you’ll never grow.
- Don’t always burn bridges. People are the resources that God uses to fulfil his will, our prayers and visions. Take the high road, it’s hard but take it. However, remember that even the high road has a destination. Don’t be a doormat.
- Have a reason to defend your faith. If they are asking you in bid to understand, answer them. If it’s in order to make your trip and engage in vain debates, ignore. Faith is more spiritual than it is logical and philosophical. Faith is personal.
- Respect all faiths and religions. Respect people’s beliefs.
- Be rooted in what you believe makes you. Seek not affirmation from other people, their beliefs or their faith. Live and let live. Thrive and let thrive.
- Love everyone, by word, by deed, by thoughts, love everyone. For God is love, and this is the true religion, to love by heart, word and deed.
Join my email list to get tips on how to Live, Love & Inspire.